ADVERTISEMENT
Welcome to ComicArtFans!

Wolverine #41 centerfold

Artist: Mike Mignola (All)

22 Comments  -   4,630 Views  -   1 Like


Wolverine #41 centerfold Comic Art
Click Image to View Full Size

 

Additional Images:


perfect pair

 

   

Artwork Details

Title: Wolverine #41 centerfold
Artist: Mike Mignola (All)
Media Type: Pen and Ink
Art Type: Pin Up
For Sale Status: NFS
Views: 4,630
Likes on CAF:
Comments: 22
Added to Site: 9/6/2005
Comic Art Archive:

Description

ACQUISITION DATE: 1991
SOURCE: direct
OWNER HISTORY: 1
DIMENSIONS: 17x22
STOCK: bristol
CREATION DATE: unknown
SIGNATURE: Mignola
PUBLICATION: July 1991

Back in 1991, I was lucky enough to catch Mike as he had just arrived to set up at his Artist Alley location. I asked him if he had any artwork for sale and he graciously allowed me to come around to the other side of his table and look through his portfolio. If I knew then what I know now, I simply would've bought everything he had. Instead, I just made sure to go through everything before making my choice. When I happened upon this piece, I immediately asked Mike how much it was. He quickly told me that it was not for sale as he felt that it was the best thing he had ever drawn (to that point). Now this was probably the worst thing he could've said to me because it made me even more determined than ever to get it. Needless to say after several long minutes of begging and pleading, it went from being the best piece he had ever done, to the most expensive piece he had ever sold. As I stood there admiring my new prize, Mike began to pack up. I asked him where he was going, since he had just gotten there. With a smile on his face, he told me that he had to go call his wife because she would never believe how much the piece had sold for! :) THANKS MIKE !!!

Social/Sharing



About the Owner

Eric DLS
Premium Gallery Owner
Joined: March 2005
 
View Eric DLS's Classifieds
View Eric DLS's Want List

View All Gallery Comments by Eric DLS
View All 'Liked' Art by Eric DLS
View Eric DLS's Site Activity on CAF

Read More About EricDLS

Contact the Owner

Use the contact form below to send an email to this gallery owner.

You must be logged in to use this feature.


Comments

You must be logged in to make comments.

J. Sid wrote:     [ Quote & Reply ]
Great story... great drawing, too!
Posted on 4/3/2005


Alan N wrote:     [ Quote & Reply ]
BLOODY amazing!
Posted on 4/8/2005


/ / wrote:     [ Quote & Reply ]
umm... WOW, but you could say that about everything in your collection Eric.... ; ) Awesome stuff!!!
Posted on 4/8/2005


Paperchaser 1968 wrote:     [ Quote & Reply ]
WOW!! Superb!! Great story too!!
Posted on 4/10/2005


mark ou wrote:     [ Quote & Reply ]
Hey Eric, this is still one of my favorite Mignola pieces of all time...
Posted on 4/28/2005


Alexander  Cat wrote:     [ Quote & Reply ]
Why Two. Why!
Posted on 11/8/2005


L. C. wrote: Paid Member    [ Quote & Reply ]
Is it ok if we ask how much was the 'record price' you paid for this masterpiece then? :)
Posted on 9/20/2006


Eric DLS wrote: Paid Member    [ Quote & Reply ]
Well Leo, you have to remember that this was over ten years ago and even before the Hellboy stuff really took off. A record price back then would probably be a joke in today's Mignola market.
Posted on 9/20/2006


JEff G wrote:     [ Quote & Reply ]
In my opinion the most comprehensive collection of Mignola's work anywhere ! - a true treasure trove !
Posted on 2/25/2009


George H wrote:     [ Quote & Reply ]
INCREDIBLE!!! Thanks for sharing the image and the story.
Posted on 1/4/2010


douglas smith wrote:     [ Quote & Reply ]
that is just cool art...amazing..........DOOM!!!!!!!!!!
Posted on 8/6/2011


COMIC PARADISE wrote: Paid Member    [ Quote & Reply ]
hope to one day steal this from you eric. :)
Posted on 5/13/2012


Thomas V wrote:     [ Quote & Reply ]
Hmm..how have i not commented on some these great Mignola's earlier? Well i'm here now! Ha-ha! how could When Mike told you this was the best thing he'd drawn to that point how could you not want it!?! Good call! I think this was the piece where Mignola's work really clicked for me. I still love it. Marvel needs to put all of his covers, pin ups poster and comics into one volume so great stuff like this isn't lost in the back issue bin.
Posted on 4/9/2013


Eric DLS wrote: Paid Member    [ Quote & Reply ]
Thomas V said:
Hmm..how have i not commented on some these great Mignola's earlier? Well i'm here now! Ha-ha! how could When Mike told you this was the best thing he'd drawn to that point how could you not want it!?! Good call! I think this was the piece where Mignola's work really clicked for me. I still love it. Marvel needs to put all of his covers, pin ups poster and comics into one volume so great stuff like this isn't lost in the back issue bin.

Well, that may have just been some good salesmanship on Mike's part. He didn't make that comment until I asked the price. So that was probably his way of telling me, get ready because I'm really going to bend you over on this one! LOL! But even though the number he threw at me almost gave me a stroke, compared to today's Mignola market, it was a steal. I just had to wait 20 years for that crazy price to become a bargain price! LOL
Posted on 4/9/2013


Thomas V wrote:     [ Quote & Reply ]
Eric DLS said:
Well, that may have just been some good salesmanship on Mike's part. He didn't make that comment until I asked the price. So that was probably his way of telling me, get ready because I'm really going to bend you over on this one! LOL! But even though the number he threw at me almost gave me a stroke, compared to today's Mignola market, it was a steal. I just had to wait 20 years for that crazy price to become a bargain price! LOL

The trouble with having great taste is sometimes you're far ahead of the game. it took the rest of the world 20 years to catch up with the genius of Mignola!
Posted on 4/9/2013


Eric DLS wrote: Paid Member    [ Quote & Reply ]
Thomas V said:
The trouble with having great taste is sometimes you're far ahead of the game. it took the rest of the world 20 years to catch up with the genius of Mignola!

Funny you should say that. I actually have a copy of a letter I wrote to some of my collectors friends (yes, that was before email) around 1990-91 warning them to keep an eye out on this guy. I don't think anyone listened because I had absolutely zero competition picking up most of this art back them. Today you have to practically fight for a space at his convention appearances, but in the old days nobody cared. Oh well, more for me!
Posted on 4/10/2013


Thomas V wrote:     [ Quote & Reply ]
Eric DLS said:
Funny you should say that. I actually have a copy of a letter I wrote to some of my collectors friends (yes, that was before email) around 1990-91 warning them to keep an eye out on this guy. I don't think anyone listened because I had absolutely zero competition picking up most of this art back them. Today you have to practically fight for a space at his convention appearances, but in the old days nobody cared. Oh well, more for me!

Yeah, his work really didn't fit the vibe of the early 1990's, personally i think it was the garish color schemes his stuff often got.
Posted on 4/10/2013


Mike W wrote: Paid Member    [ Quote & Reply ]
Always loved this one. Leaving a comment has been long overdue...
Posted on 4/10/2013


Eric DLS wrote: Paid Member    [ Quote & Reply ]
Mike W said:
Always loved this one. Leaving a comment has been long overdue...

Thanks buddy! Can't believe you can still find stuff in my gallery you haven't commented on. After all these years, I would've thought you had blanketed my entire gallery by now. Take care my friend.
Posted on 4/10/2013


Foggy Bottom wrote: Paid Member    [ Quote & Reply ]
As good as it gets. Baller score.
Posted on 4/10/2013


Satya Chetri wrote:     [ Quote & Reply ]
That story gave me a crazy grin. Damn, I love your stories, Eric.
Posted on 6/5/2013


Eric DLS wrote: Paid Member    [ Quote & Reply ]
Satya Chetri said:
That story gave me a crazy grin. Damn, I love your stories, Eric.

Thanks Satya! I actually think they're much more fun in person, but I'm glad my writing was able to convey the same sentiment. If you ever come to visit, we'll be able to compare. Thanks for the comment.
Posted on 6/5/2013


Latest Updates

All

Craig Cermak

6/28/2017 11:47:00 PM

Sudip Dasgupta

6/28/2017 11:40:00 PM

Ankur J

6/28/2017 11:22:00 PM

David Marquez

6/28/2017 11:10:00 PM

Adam Garbett

6/28/2017 11:02:00 PM

 

Nathan  S

6/28/2017 10:30:00 PM

jefter  leite

6/28/2017 10:27:00 PM

David  K

6/28/2017 10:21:00 PM

Jason  Wood

6/28/2017 9:43:00 PM

Nik  Franks

6/28/2017 9:38:00 PM

eBay Auctions

Pathfinder Worldscape issue 5 cover by Jonathan Lau Red Sonja John

Heritage Auctions

George Tuska Rangers Comics #22 Story Page 6 Glory

ComicLink Auctions

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #217 COVER ( 1983, GEORGE PEREZ ) Iconic team cover image!

Comic Connect Auctions

Fantastic Four #14 Pg. 18 by Kirby and Ayers

Catawiki Auctions

De Jager, Gerrit - 5 Original sketch pages - Familie Doorzon - (1997)

Hakes Auctions

HARLEY QUINN & THE JOKER "WHIPLASH" ORIGINAL ART PAINTING BY GREG HILDEBRANDT.



Fandango - Wonder Woman Exclusive Gift Cards


Commission an Artist

Monte Moore

Rating:

eBay Auctions

THE AMAZING SPIDER MAN'S MARY JANE PRINT SIGNED BY ARTIST MARK BAGLEY

For Sale Updates

Shop Updates

Kirk  Dilbeck

6/28/2017 6:23:00 PM

Original Art Auctions and Exchange:  ComicLINK.com

6/28/2017 5:33:00 PM

Erik Essington

6/28/2017 5:31:00 PM

Court Gebeau

6/28/2017 3:07:00 PM

Shelton  Bryant

6/28/2017 2:20:00 PM

SandeR SandeR

6/28/2017 2:12:00 PM

Dealer Updates

Anthony's Comicbook Art

6/28/2017 11:04:00 PM

Coollines Artwork

6/28/2017 8:05:00 PM

Felix Comic Art

6/26/2017 6:59:00 PM

Splash Page Comic Art

6/26/2017 5:40:00 PM

Heritage Auctions

6/26/2017 9:44:00 AM

Albert Moy

6/25/2017 2:58:00 PM





Become a Premium CAF Gallery Owner & you'll be supporting CAF and also gain access to many services and features not available to standard members.

  • Sell Artwork in the CAF Classifieds
  • Daily Email Alerts based on your own Searches
  • Follow Other Gallery Owners
  • 6 Months Market Data Access
  • Larger Image Uploads ... and Much More!