1. Please tell us a little about yourself.
Hi there true believer! My name is Guy Van Gompel, I'm 35 years-old and live in Belgium. I've collected original comic book art for a couple of years now and enjoy this hobby very, very much. My two main interests are Star Wars art from the original Marvel series and all Spider-Man art that was published in the eighties; black suit art in particular.
2. Which piece in your gallery is your favorite?
At this time, only my Star Wars art is listed - I plan to sort out, scan, and list my Spidey stuff soon. So, I'll have to pick my favorite Star Wars piece. I guess it is page 2 from issue #17. This was the only issue Herb Trimpe did in the series. What makes it really special is that it's a flashback issue. Luke Skywalker is doing the “night shift” in the Millennium Falcon's cockpit and he's thinking about the life he had before he met Obi-Wan Kenobi. Page two basically shows the cycle of life on Tatooine - it's a tough place to live! I was very happy to get a couple more pages of this issue a couple of months ago.
3. How long have you been collecting comic art and what prompted you to start?
About 5 years I think. I noticed one by chance on eBay and couldn't believe it was an original. When I got it I was so impressed that I knew I had to collect more. I soon decided I would focus on Star Wars and Spider-Man and the rest is, as they say, history ... I got in touch with a lot of fellow collectors during that period and I must say all of them are great people to deal and chat with.
4. How do you display/store your collection at home?
At the moment all are stored in mylar portfolios that I bought from Anthony's Collectibles.
5. What are your top five most wanted original pages or commissions?
Well, I would love to a page from:
* one of the first six Star Wars issues (movie adaption of the original movie)
* Secret Wars issue #8 (Spidey gets the black symbiote costume)
* Amazing Spider-Man issue #252 (Spidey returns to Earth from the Secret Wars) - I recently won page 6 of this one on eBay!
* Amazing Spider-Man issue #539 - back in black! - Although not from the eighties, I really like this short-lived black suit comeback. I already have the cover and a couple of interior pages - would love to complete this one!
* any good Kingpin page - my favorite Marvel villain
View Guy Van Gompel's Gallery