1. Please tell us a little about yourself.
I still live and work in the area of the city I was born, that being Leicester, UK. I am the contracts director for a company which designs and installs office and warehouse interiors. I have been married a VERY long time, have a son (30) and a daughter (28), one grandson and another on the way! My wife and daughter play an active part in the art and statue collecting, looking for new pieces to add to the collection and visiting conventions together; it is a shared interest.
2. Which piece in your gallery is your favorite?
JLA / Avengers #1 pages 30 & 31 DPS by George Perez is still one of my favourites, it was the first piece I bought. I love the character mix and the layout of the page is so original. Ask me tomorrow and I might say a different piece, but today this one is my favourite!
3. How long have you been collecting comic art and what prompted you to start?
As a comic collector in the 1960s, I grew to love the characters. Selling my collection in the early 1970s (an action I have regretted ever since) I kept my love of the characters alive with toys and action figures as my children grew up. I started collecting comic statues about 8 years ago, which I still do, and only started collecting original art around 3-4 years ago. Original art was always something I thought would be out of my reach, financially. I remember seeing a Neal Adams X-Men page in the 1970s at a convention for £25, two weeks wages at that time and thinking I would never afford any original art!
4. How do you display/store your collection at home?
The majority are matted and framed, and on the walls of virtually every room in the house. I use the same local framing shop for every piece, the same matt colour and same frame design, so they all match. The others are kept safely in portfolios.
5. What are your top five most wanted original pages or commissions?
In no particular order:
1) A John Buscema Conan or Thor cover or splash.
2) One of Joe Jusko's painted pieces, preferably one featuring a big cat / jungle scene.
3) Art Adams is one of my all-time favourite artists, some fellow collectors on CAF have some pieces I regularly drool over!
4) An Alex Ross painted piece, featuring Batman.
5) I would still like to maybe get a Neal Adams page someday, preferably Green Lantern/Green Arrow or X-Men.
View David Paget's Gallery