1. Please tell us a little about yourself.
I'm an old time musician in the San Francisco Bay area and I also own and operate Callo Sign Company.
2. Which piece in your gallery is your favorite?
I've always claimed that page 2 from the Silver Surfer graphic novel by Kirby is, arguably, the greatest image of the Silver Surfer ever drawn. The pose and symmetry make it the ultimate pin-up type shot. However, I would still say my fave is page 1 from Silver Surfer #18. It has action, power and a huge image of the Surfer in a wild battle splash.
3. How long have you been collecting comic art and what prompted you to start?
I didn't realize how lucky I was at the time but I started collecting at the TOP. My first piece was a Silver Surfer
page by Kirby that I bought right from Jack & Roz at a con in L.A. in '88. The next next time I bought art it was a month later at their home in Thousand Oaks, CA! I later wrote a story about my first trip to their house that was published in an early 'Kirby Collector' back in '97
4. How do you display/store your collection at home?
My walls are filled with comic art. If I have it in a portfolio that I only look at once every 4 months then it's probably not worth keeping.
5. What are your top five most wanted original pages or commissions?
Fantastic Four #49 cover, X-Men #1 cover, Thor #83 cover, Hulk #1 cover, Amazing Fantasy #15 cover. (might as well dream big)
View LEN CALLO 's Gallery