1. Please tell us a little about yourself.
I live in Oregon with my wife and our four year old son, in a house that may or may not be haunted. I work in the IT department of an engineering firm even though I have a degree in English literature. I am currently working on a super exciting and incredibly obsessive collection of portraits of EVERY character from the Sandman Universe. Those portraits can be found in my CAF gallery or on my Sandman Portraits blog.
2. Which piece in your gallery is your favorite?
My current favorite piece of art is my Brief Lives recreation by Michael Zulli. When I commissioned him I had an idea in my head of what this scene would look like and he exceeded all of my expectations. It’s breathtaking!!! I am also very fond of my Delirium commission by Josh Middleton. I feel very lucky to have been able to get both of these commissions.
3. How long have you been collecting comic art and what prompted you to start?
I have been collecting art for 20 years. My very first piece of original art was a quick Frank Miller sketch in a Batman hardcover and it was at that point that I realized artists would draw things for people and it was a few months later that I got my first Sandman sketch. I decided pretty early on to focus my collection just on Sandman art because I would never have money if I bought everything I like.
4. How do you display/store your collection at home?
I have some art framed and hanging throughout the house, but a majority of my art is stored in Itoya portfolios. I am hoping to have some portfolios custom made for the Sandman Portraits theme, but I haven’t really gotten around to that yet.
5. What are your top five most wanted original pages or commissions?
Well, those are really two different things…
My top five most wanted pages are:
1) Sandman #21 page
2) “The Flowers of Romance” page 6 (from Vertigo Winter’s Edge #1) by
3) Sandman #37 pages 20-21
4) Sandman #42 page 13 (in Javier Soto’s gallery)
5) Despair pinup from the Sandman Anniversary Poster (by Teddy Kristiansen)
My Top 5 most wanted commissions are:
1) Joe Chiodo - Death painting
2) Kelley Jones – Dream
3) John Bolton – Death
4) Jamie Hewlett – Delirium (but that will never happen)
5) A nice Charles Vess commission
View Rob C.'s Gallery