1. Please tell us a little about yourself.
Born and raised in a small town in central Minnesota, I grew up following Marvel comics; MICRONAUTS was my favorite, with ROM: SPACEKNIGHT a close second. Really don't read new comics very much anymore; though I keep my eye on the industry, and the creators I followed in my youth.
2. Which piece in your gallery is your favorite?
Easiest question in the world to answer. I'm fortunate enough to have started my collection by landing my #1 grail, the complete interior artwork for MICRONAUTS #11. Page seven is my favorite from the lot. MICRONAUTS #11 is one of those few books that, even as a man entering middle age, I recall distinctly where I was when I read it the first time. Michael Golden's artwork and Bill Mantlo's epic script had that profound an effect on me. I am beyond lucky that the set stayed together for all these years, and grateful to have the chance to acquire it.
3. How long have you been collecting comic art and what prompted you to start?
I had been collecting comic sketch cards ('sketchagraphs') since 1998, but graduated to full-fledged Original Art when I had a Doctor Doom drawing sent to me as a gift by artist Anthony Castrillo, I still have it! I had never seen the full 11x17 blueline format before, and I finally understood the significance of the 'sketchagraph' format, a mere pastiche in miniature of the Real Deal.
4. How do you display/store your collection at home?
For some time I had a number of my favorite pieces framed and clustered on the walls of my office, but I eventually decided to remove almost all of the art from their frames, replacing them with excellent reproductions (the better to not waste the money spent having them framed in the first place). The vast majority of my collection is stored in 14x19 Itoyas.
5. What are your top five most wanted original pages or commissions?
1) From the Marvel MICRONAUTS book, Baron Karza Splash pages by Pat Broderick or Butch Guice
2) I'm trying to assemble all the artwork from ROM SPACEKNIGHT Annual #2
3) From the Image Comics version of MICRONAUTS, I'm missing only page 6 and the back cover art for the complete issue! Help!
4) I'm missing three pieces from a complete run of four issues of the 1995 miniseries of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA by Rob Liefeld's Maximum Press.
5) Pages from MICRONAUTS Guest Star Appearances in ALPHA FLIGHT & CAPTAIN MARVEL
View Andrew Allen's Gallery